For all the Coach Prime fans …

RunInRed

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It was also fake. 

Alright, where is this quote? And how do you know it's fake?

Still don't think we get him, we better hope GT gets Chadwell so we have easy access to Todd Monken and Dell.

6 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It baffles me how some AU fans want to fire a HC who's clearly over his head and didn't have the resume, only go hire another even more inexperienced coach. I LOVE Deion! I really do but our next hire is way too important to take a risk on him. If we get the next hire wrong...we're Tennessee part 2 and become a basketball school FOR REAL! Go get Hugh or Lane and let's move the heck on! I wish Deion the best but his first major gig should not be at Auburn. 

Harsin had an excellent resume of sustained success, with a higher winning percentage and more conference titles than any coach we’ve hired, but in a lesser conference. Hugh (bad record vs Gus) and Lane (lost to Harsin) have more 4 and 5 loss seasons than they do double digit win seasons. Deion is unseasoned as a HC but has HOF credentials as an NFL player. Hiring a new coach is a crap shoot either way. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Harsin had an excellent resume of sustained success, with a higher winning percentage and more conference titles than any coach we’ve hired, but in a lesser conference. Hugh (bad record vs Gus) and Lane (lost to Harsin) have more 4 and 5 loss seasons than they do double digit win seasons. Deion is unseasoned as a HC but has HOF credentials as an NFL player. Hiring a new coach is a crap shoot either way. 

Harsin's resume wasn't impressive but i thought he'd employ Bosie St at AU but on steroids. It hasn't worked. As far as Lane and Hugh's records...it is Ole Miss. The same Ole Miss that every year many on this board count as auto wins. Ole Miss has went to 6 New Years 6 bowls since 2004. I'd say that's pretty good considering it's Ole Miss. That's likely their ceiling. AU has shown we have a higher ceiling. Therefore, think of what they could have achieved at AU.

Yes, it's always a crap shoot but we have not fielded a competent offense in years. I do agree with @cole256in that we need to amass some serious recruiting talent. We were lucky to get 2 once in a lifetime QBs. However, we have not had a coach that has shown they can recruit and develop a top SEC QB. Like them or not, Lane and Hugh will get you a competent QB and decent OL. I'll take that as a start. Fine, take out Hugh...i like Grimes as well. I even like Coastal Carolina's coach. 

But I want a proven coach that can build an offense. I'm tired of a pedestrian offense at AU and not having a QB. I personally think as long as we get a solid DC, AU will continue to be a place that will always get good DBs and DL. But we can't keep not being able to score in today's college football. 

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 1

Grimes is still my #1 choice mainly because of his coaching experience, his pedigree, and him being an OL coach in the past. We need to shore up the OL FAST and I truly think Grimes would be the best shot at that. Grimes has a high floor with a the potential to have a high ceiling.

However, the more I stew on it and the more I read from other people in this thread and others, the gap is closing more and more on Grimes being #1. Coach Sanders is going to be one of the hottest names in coaching soon, if not already. Getting in on him early would be HUGE for Auburn and would give this program a much needed kick in the pants as far excitement is concerned. Someone else said Deion was a defibrillator and Auburn is coding. Those two things couldn't be more perfect examples.

Hiring Sanders would immediately put every eye on our program and recruits would be talking about it. It might not lead to immediate 5* recruits falling over themselves to come here but it would definitely get them interested. Sanders would be able to win over recruits and change the perspective of what Harsin has sold in the last 2 seasons. We desperately need a young, highly charismatic individual here and this would be something that Auburn has never done.

There are questions about his experience but it's not like he has never coached before and he's been around the game his entire life, learned from the best coaches in the NFL and I believe he would surround himself with the experience that is needed to be successful. If he does that, with his recruiting prowess, I believe Auburn could take advantage of the portal and be competitive next season.

I would be ecstatic if Auburn took the chance and hired Sanders. He has a lower floor but his ceiling is also way higher than Grimes, IMO. Sanders is my #2 but it's a lot closer now than it was a week ago.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Alright, where is this quote? And how do you know it's fake?

Still don't think we get him, we better hope GT gets Chadwell so we have easy access to Todd Monken and Dell.

It is fake because it came from a site called “satire”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, ArTiger said:

Only Deion Sanders..He has always been successful and would give Auburn excitement instantly! Anyone not wanting him was a Hardin supporter I am sure!!!

Coach Hardin?? Who’s that? 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

^^This. Kiffin was also part of the revolving door at Tennessee and did nothing at USCw despite being the premier school in that state & conference. Freeze has a ton of baggage and only recruited well while cheating. We need to do much better than these two if we are going to succeed long term.

Agreed that hiring a coach can be a crap shoot, but Kiffin and Freeze are two guys AU should NEVER roll the dice on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

As far as Lane and Hugh's records...it is Ole Miss.

And Tennessee, USC and FAU and Liberty. After 10 or 11 years of coaching at different schools and different levels you are what your record says you are. Both are good coaches and I’m fine if either come. Both produce exciting offenses. But look their their entire career and you will see the same up and downs that Gus brought us. Very solid but not spectacular. That’s all I’m saying. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Harsin's resume wasn't impressive

It wasn’t? I think winning 10-12 games a year consistently over several years is impressive at any level. His recipe failed at Auburn but his past reflects great success. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It wasn’t? I think winning 10-12 games a year consistently over several years is impressive at any level. His recipe failed at Auburn but his past reflects great success. 

Yeah I am confused about that one. Think he had like a .784 winning record at Boise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Deion sees this as something bigger and a much larger impact. He is bringing a lot of positive exposure to HBCU’s along with a much needed economic impact. I know this because I have sat in on two of his fundraising meetings. It would be hypocritical because he is selling kids on coming to HBCU’s vs. traditional powers for a myriad of reasons. He is helping make a positive economic impact to the Universities, and restoring the talent pipeline. For him to leave and go to  Auburn would indeed be hypocritical especially this early in the journey. I can see him leaving at some point, because he is such a competitor, but I just done see it being this soon and being Auburn.

I think this summarizes the Deion challenge perfectly.  GT isn’t the issue. For those that are all in (ie me) this is the real  negative of Deion.  His motives are alien to us. And it’s a risk.  We’re used to throwing ridiculous money at someone and maybe toss in the allure of the SEC.  Both aren’t too bad. But.  #1 obviously he’s loaded and could easily make more in broadcasting   #2 he’s deeply principled about his cause and this is a labor of love  #3 he’s adored and doesn’t have to deal with fans who expect results in 3 months, boards that crucify him daily, or infighting university politics.

I read a few posts where maybe we should raid Jax States talent if we get him… Read PoetTiger’s post again.  Business as usual won’t work here.

If we want to attract someone like this we have to rethink what’s appealing about coaching AU  - quick. Because we’re about to fire another guy. Something with the HBCUs, something creative, and maybe the “Aufamily” culture mantra needs to be revisited.  And assemble a weaponized AU dream team to lay it out. I can think of a few names.

Again, IMO his biggest downside is that he’s not a mercenary.  That’s a wildcard.  If we’re not prepared to try something different  (a mistake),  the other names that are being thrown around will definitely bite on our usual approach.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 9:50 PM, AU-24 said:

I totally understand, it does seem like he has changed since the suicide attempt.

My understanding is he has other goals and missions he wants to accomplish. He wants to turn the traditional black schools into like a power five conference of their own. I guess what I’m struggling to say is, I don’t think he wants the job at Auburn or any other power five school.

This is what I think.  He doesn't need the money or the notoriety—he's already got both.  And I think he sees his role in the historically black schools as a leader participating in a movement.

• Like 3

I’d personally wait to see if he takes the Georgia Tech job and let him prove himself as a coach in the ACC. I think that’d be more up his alley since he has a history with Atlanta. 

But I’m incredibly intrigued by how he would do at Auburn for 3 reasons. 

1. He would fire up our media darlings - Bo Jackson & Charles Barkley. He would be instant positive publicity for Auburn since he would be our first black head coach. 

2. The recruiting would be the best in Auburn History. The only proof anyone needs is seeing him convince the #1 player on the country last year to spurn home state Georgia and flip from FSU. With all the talent in the state of Alabama, I think he would flip the top players immediately. 

3. I think he would have coaches lined up for him. He could potentially be an 2019 Orgeron at LSU or a Dabo at Clemson with the right coaching staff.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Even if that quote was fake, I still see him wanting to stay put. I'm not sure how we go about trying to avoid this--do we risk it on Prime or should we assume he wants to stay and put the full court press on Monken/Dell?

Anything to avoid the scenario in which Prime stays, GT gets Monken or Dell, and Nebraska plucks Aranda.

I would be *ecstatic* if we got our hands on Prime. But after the debacle with MC/BN/BV and our current position between the two best teams in the country I have very little confidence in our desirability as a job. 

Edited by AUwent

On 9/26/2022 at 2:00 PM, cctiger said:

He's selfish and self-centered, and has been that way since his time at FSU and in the pros. Like Red said: "It's all about him" period. He was a clown show at FSU, and a clown show in the NFL. Don't need or want that self-centered clown show on the Plains.

Sheesh, ligthen' up, gramps. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

2. The recruiting would be the best in Auburn History.

3. I think he would have coaches lined up for him.

Preach. Exactly what I've been saying. These are the only two factors that are needed to compete with dink & kirbs.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, Butthead said:

It's a new game and the game is marketing and NIL.

BINGO

There is no realistic available HC that would set our recruiting ablaze like Prime.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:17 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Y'all act like he only won with Dye's players.  Dude went to the SEC Title game in 1997 and lost by a point to Peyton Manning.  Those weren't Dye players on the field.

Exactly......it did get bad at the end and in my opinion that's on Terry.....with that said he took a talented roster of defeated young men and made them believe in themselves again.....and as much as I loved coach Dye he simply couldn't win in the end.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think this summarizes the Deion challenge perfectly.  GT isn’t the issue. For those that are all in (ie me) this is the real  negative of Deion.  His motives are alien to us. And it’s a risk.  We’re used to throwing ridiculous money at someone and maybe toss in the allure of the SEC.  Both aren’t too bad. But.  #1 obviously he’s loaded and could easily make more in broadcasting   #2 he’s deeply principled about his cause and this is a labor of love  #3 he’s adored and doesn’t have to deal with fans who expect results in 3 months, boards that crucify him daily, or infighting university politics.

I read a few posts where maybe we should raid Jax States talent if we get him… Read PoetTiger’s post again.  Business as usual won’t work here.

If we want to attract someone like this we have to rethink what’s appealing about coaching AU  - quick. Because we’re about to fire another guy. Something with the HBCUs, something creative, and maybe the “Aufamily” culture mantra needs to be revisited.  And assemble a weaponized AU dream team to lay it out. I can think of a few names.

Again, IMO his biggest downside is that he’s not a mercenary.  That’s a wildcard.  If we’re not prepared to try something different  (a mistake),  the other names that are being thrown around will definitely bite on our usual approach.

All of this. He chose Jax State for a reason and he's not leaving them for just any gig. It won't be about money or prestige for him. It'll be a very calculated move IF he moves on at all. 

• Like 1

In my opinion and has been mentioned by several on here concerning Deion, Does he even want to leave JSU to coach at another school other than whatever his dream job is? For those on here that question his coaching ability, just stop.   A blind person can out coach Les Miles and he won a National championship.   Deion would surround himself with people that can coach and implement the X’s and O’s ( even though I don’t think that is an issue with him).   If Auburn hired him, in the eyes of everyone currently running every major television network (ESPN, CBS, FOX sports) would immediately change the perception of Auburn.   Just this alone, would change the landscape of how auburn is viewed.   
For those that don’t want to believe it, auburn is currently viewed in a negative manner concerning how things are handled down on the plains.   
My only negative concern if he was offered and took the job would be if another opportunity was presented to him and he takes it.   Selfishly, I want someone that’s going to stay 10 - 15 years.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

All of this. He chose Jax State for a reason and he's not leaving them for just any gig. It won't be about money or prestige for him. It'll be a very calculated move IF he moves on at all. 

I’ll ask again…then why did he interview for three P5 programs in the off-season?