What if this hire hasn't been mentioned, just like our last search

TeamZero77

Les Miles....Gross but I could see it "coaching legend- played for 2 NC"

Will Muschamp...I could see our boosters now.."Tons of SEC experience"

Ed O- "NC winning coach"

Edited by Tigerpro2a

On 11/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, DyeCampAlum said:

And before anybody piles on even more, what was Pat Dye's record at Wyoming before he came to Auburn?

6-5 in his one year there, after he took over a team that had losing seasons in the prior three years. Previous to that, Dye was highly successful at East Carolina. He beat several major college teams in his time there. Dye was a very good candidate, not some pie in the sky gamble.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Dye had coached under Bear Bryant for several years at UAT. I've heard the Bear had Dye in mind for his successor since they were a lot alike. That was before Dye coached for the enemy and moved the Iron Bowl game to home and home. WDE!!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 10:30 AM, NolaAuTiger said:

Bear Bryant has a better chance at being Auburn's next head coach. 

shovels or backhoe?

• Haha 3

i kinda like tulanes head coach. i think he is in the top six all time winning coaches? i watched them and smu thursday night and they were well coached. i have no idea on recruiting or portal nil. but his team was physical and they reminded me a little of an old dye team. i am shocked he has not climbed further up the ladder to one of the big boys. i never saw him well so maybe he is too old? all i know is he has great teams and they play hard for him.

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i kinda like tulanes head coach. i think he is in the top six all time winning coaches? i watched them and smu thursday night and they were well coached. i have no idea on recruiting or portal nil. but his team was physical and they reminded me a little of an old dye team. i am shocked he has not climbed further up the ladder to one of the big boys. i never saw him well so maybe he is too old? all i know is he has great teams and they play hard for him.

Not bad winning percentage but all at lower levels. Tulane is his best job at 62.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:39 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

Les Miles....Gross but I could see it "coaching legend- played for 2 NC"

Will Muschamp...I could see our boosters now.."Tons of SEC experience"

Ed O- "NC winning coach"

You are the Dark Voice in my head. This is my nightmare.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, autan said:

Dye had coached under Bear Bryant for several years at UAT. I've heard the Bear had Dye in mind for his successor since they were a lot alike. That was before Dye coached for the enemy and moved the Iron Bowl game to home and home. WDE!!

you would be right. it was in one of the dye or bear autobiographies.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, AUAlumnTN said:

I honestly hope it's none of the names mentioned. I think there are serious, serious, serious red flags with all of them:

Luke Fickell - was born, raised, and has spent the entirety of his coaching career in the state of Ohio. Swap Ohio with Idaho and you've got Bryan Harsin 2: Electric Boogaloo

James Franklin - has spent most of the last decade as the Gus Malzahn of the Big Ten: wins plenty of games, loses a couple of head scratchers every year, and can't beat the titans of his conference, especially on the road. Thank you, next. 

Tom Herman - underwhelming at Texas. Under/unemployed since he was fired two years ago. I imagine there's a reason for that. 

Clay Helton - underwhelming (to put it mildly) at USC and a poor recruiter to boot. Talent pool-wise, USC is probably one of the five or so easiest recruiting gigs in the country and this dude beefed it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. 

Dan Mullen - brilliant offensive mind, excellent QB developer but famously on the (badly) losing end of Kirby Smart's "there's not a coach out there who can out-coach recruiting" speech. Nope. 

For candidates that aren't being talked about, I would put Chris Klieman, Lance Leipold, and Sonny Dykes before any of the names mentioned here. 

Go ahead and list the red flags for the candidates you like too 🚩 

On 11/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, keywest said:

Not NO but hell NO! If we strike out on the top 3 of Kiffin, Freeze and Sanders (which I seriously doubt happens), I take a second tier chance on Jamey Chadwell

On 11/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, Mikey said:

6-5 in his one year there, after he took over a team that had losing seasons in the prior three years. Previous to that, Dye was highly successful at East Carolina. He beat several major college teams in his time there. Dye was a very good candidate, not some pie in the sky gamble.

This is a true and helpful comment. But no one thought Pat Dye was a sure thing.

On 11/17/2022 at 6:55 AM, autiger88 said:

This would cause an absolute meltdown and Cohen would immediately be fired! It ain't happening. 

mullen would never happen. up his and his wife's as well since she lied with the rest of them.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 2:04 PM, mdp5150 said:

Go ahead and list the red flags for the candidates you like too 🚩 

Sure, why not: 

Chris Klieman - small school, Midwest guy for most of his career. Can he adjust to life in the SEC at this stage of his career? Also, is it worth it for Auburn to take another chance on another non-SEC guy? 

Lance Leipold - see above. Another extremely successful small school, Midwest guy with no SEC experience. 

Sonny Dykes - didn't exactly set the world on fire at Cal and in particular couldn't get it done against their rivals. A big reason for that was Dykes continually swinging and missing on his defensive coordinator hires. His success at SMU and TCU suggests he might have learned from his mistakes at Cal but it is worth noting. 

That said, these are my "names no one's mentioning" picks. Do I think any of them are serious candidates for the Auburn job? No. Would any of them be at the top of my wishlist? Also no. Do I think they might make excellent hires for another school now or down the road? Sure, probably not in the SEC but who knows. 

• Like 1

Deion Sanders I’ve been surprised he hasn’t been on people’s radar… if there was a secret candidate I hope it’s him. 

• Haha 2

Has anyone mentioned Lane Kiffin? If not, he’s our hire. If so, he’s still our hire. Wish they’d just make an announcement so this annoying conversation can end. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Love 1