2014 5* ILB Tre Williams commits to AU!

Hooverwareagle

First off, Saban has done an outstanding job of bringing in players, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that Mike *bleepin* Shula didn't bring in some good players in his own right, so methinks one need remember the RECreational club that runs things up there and not give Shorty too much credit.

Gus Malzahn sells himself without all that. He's the genius who has excelled everywhere he has been, even if he's only been a head coach for one year. Besides, Auburn is FINALLY back to having a full roster of talent, considering we have had consensus top 10 classes for 4 years now and the starting lineup is littered with juniors and seniors who have been through the fire already. That senior class remembers playing in Arizona, too, so it's not like they don't know how to win.

Second, Tre may well be the best linebacker in this class, period. He's the best player in the Mobile metro area, and those of us who follow recruiting know how big a statement that is every year but...well, this kid is special. I saw mention of Carl Lawson type hype, and that's spot on. He won't start right away because of Cass and Frosty, but I'd be willing to bet he's in the rotation from day one.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ellis Johnson himself, explaining his defense, said the star position is a lot more linebacker than it is safety. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see three guys called "linebackers" out there most of the time.

Back to Tre. He may very well be the best coverage LB in this class.

I loved reading the recent articles about his abaility to cover at Elite camps thjis summer. I bet he will get his 5th star. Previously, who was one our our best coverage LB's? I think Thomas was very impressive.

Karlos Dansby has to be at the top of the list. That acrobatic interception toss in is still one of the best heads up plays I've ever seen.

Karlos Dansby has to be at the top of the list. That acrobatic interception toss in is still one of the best heads up plays I've ever seen.

Yep, Dansby was great in coverage. I agree.

Are you talking about the option play where he defended the QB and the RB while taking the pitch? That was a fumble recovery.

If I remember correctly, the flag was thrown on Dansby, the refs conferred, and let the play stand. Can't see any reason it shouldn't. An amazing play by Dansby and DT.

If I remember correctly, the flag was thrown on Dansby, the refs conferred, and let the play stand. Can't see any reason it shouldn't. An amazing play by Dansby and DT.

As I recall, being new years eve and all, but the play was not overturned.

Damn! I never saw that play before.

Be glad. It was the lone highlight of an otherwise long and forgetful night in Atlanta.

Be glad. It was the lone highlight of an otherwise long and forgetful night in Atlanta.

I agree. I was at that game - the only Auburn bowl game I've ever attended.

The flag was for a forward lateral. If Dansby caught the ball and controlled it, then he pitched it forward to a fellow defender. The officials convened and waved off the flag. They apparently decided it was a tipped ball and not a penalty.

The flag was for a forward lateral. If Dansby caught the ball and controlled it, then he pitched it forward to a fellow defender. The officials convened and waved off the flag. They apparently decided it was a tipped ball and not a penalty.

If you watch grt's second video, you will see that the refs concluded that Dansby caught the ball and passed it forward. They recognized Dansby's INT, then gave Auburn a 5 yd penalty from the spot of the foul (ie the spot of the interception).

I agree. I was at that game - the only Auburn bowl game I've ever attended.

Note to ALL AUF posters:

If you see triangletiger attempting to enter an AU Bowl game (Heck any game) stop him!

I loved reading the recent articles about his abaility to cover at Elite camps thjis summer. I bet he will get his 5th star. Previously, who was one our our best coverage LB's? I think Thomas was very impressive.

Aundray Bruce. Watch the Ga Tech game his senior year for a good example of how that guy would read coverage, close on receivers and get the pick. Dye said he's never seen a linebacker cover receivers like Bruce...and Dye has seen some good linebackers in his day.

Hmm... Looks like if he brought it down he would of been out of bounds and an incomplete pass. Interesting I think that type of situation might need to be addressed with a rule...

Aundray Bruce. Watch the Ga Tech game his senior year for a good example of how that guy would read coverage, close on receivers and get the pick. Dye said he's never seen a linebacker cover receivers like Bruce...and Dye has seen some good linebackers in his day.

Like no other! AB could do it all.

Hmm... Looks like if he brought it down he would of been out of bounds and an incomplete pass. Interesting I think that type of situation might need to be addressed with a rule...

It probably was. But the play was so outstanding that they let it go, especially since Auburn was losing so greatly.

Since the definition of a catch is in bounds and in control. He did not indeed have a catch. So it could not of been a forward lateral.

I agree with Newbomb. I don't think in today's game that would be ruled a catch, since he never touched down with the ball. It's more of a tipped ball in my opinion.

I agree. Either way, I think that it is Auburn's ball. It's definitely a great play and would be an interesting call.

Since the definition of a catch is in bounds and in control. He did not indeed have a catch. So it could not of been a forward lateral.

I believe this is correct. I am almost certain Auburn was given the ball after this play. (Could be wrong) It was a very long delay, if I recall. what he did is technically no different than if the ball hit him in the back of the head and bounced that direction. the fact he put 2 hands on it is immaterial. You gotta touch 2 feet to the ground, in bounds, with control ... or else it is not posession.

lutzie did the same thing with his "almost" reception in high school ... which is a crazy cool play (find the you tube clip) ... with the notable exception that he would have been a lateral had he come down in bounds with the ball.

anywho ... that is the way i remember the play. regardless of the final call, it was a fantastic play by 2 great auburn football players. i enjoyed both of those guys. did yall remember that both were very lightly recruited and dansby was a WR coming out of high school and thomas was headed to some place like georgia southern before tubbs grabbed him ...

I believe this is correct. I am almost certain Auburn was given the ball after this play. (Could be wrong) It was a very long delay, if I recall. what he did is technically no different than if the ball hit him in the back of the head and bounced that direction. the fact he put 2 hands on it is immaterial. You gotta touch 2 feet to the ground, in bounds, with control ... or else it is not posession.

lutzie did the same thing with his "almost" reception in high school ... which is a crazy cool play (find the you tube clip) ... with the notable exception that he would have been a lateral had he come down in bounds with the ball.

anywho ... that is the way i remember the play. regardless of the final call, it was a fantastic play by 2 great auburn football players. i enjoyed both of those guys. did yall remember that both were very lightly recruited and dansby was a WR coming out of high school and thomas was headed to some place like georgia southern before tubbs grabbed him ...

Minor correction: you have to have ONE foot touching in bounds for it to be a catch, at least in the college game. :tease:

Archived