Who do we close with?

AUpreacherman22

This was Smurphy's prediction a few days ago, FWIW

"@Smuphy: Auburn probably has about 8 spots left In this class. Some current commits won't be here signing day."

"@Smuphy: @BriceBonner maybe lose westry, Atkinson, Sullivan. Sign some random CB, Key, Burt, Ryan Davis, and then it's a crap shoot. Lol"

Who is smuphy?

Poster from back in the AE days. He at least used to have info, can't say if he still does or not.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a reason why you don't see a party of 6'4+ corners running around in the NFL, or even in College.

I think I read somewhere that none of the All-Americans were above 6' tall.

If you go by our big board- which I do, because I know far less than most of y'all- we have a need for 2 corners and Westry is the only one committed. So more late offers out there makes sense. Also, since Westry is invited on the 16th, that makes me guess that he is very much wanted by our staff. I don't know that that's how these things work, though.

We really need to grab the Gentry kid, before another SEC school snags him. Sources telling me Kentucky is really high on him right now and his name is really heating up as signing day nears!

Who is smuphy?

Just a fan.

Losing a current commit (or a couple of them) is to be executed. The fact that we have offered several CB's these past few days could definitely signal that Westry may not be in future plans. He never had a solid offer from Florida. The reality is that at 6'4+ (I've actually heard he may be ~6'4.5) the likelihood of him actually being able to play CB isn't very high. Having "big corners" is one thing; but at a certain point the height just becomes a detractor. There is a reason why you don't see a party of 6'4+ corners running around in the NFL, or even in College.

I think Westry had an offer from UF actually. I'm pretty sure that was his only other big offer on the table.

Who is smuphy?

Just a fan.

Losing a current commit (or a couple of them) is to be executed. The fact that we have offered several CB's these past few days could definitely signal that Westry may not be in future plans. He never had a solid offer from Florida. The reality is that at 6'4+ (I've actually heard he may be ~6'4.5) the likelihood of him actually being able to play CB isn't very high. Having "big corners" is one thing; but at a certain point the height just becomes a detractor. There is a reason why you don't see a party of 6'4+ corners running around in the NFL, or even in College.

I think Westry had an offer from UF actually. I'm pretty sure that was his only other big offer on the table.

judging from his comments to 247 after we got muschamp, the kid is all AU. Not sure where the talk is coming from.

We really need to grab the Gentry kid, before another SEC school snags him. Sources telling me Kentucky is really high on him right now and his name is really heating up as signing day nears!

He can't sign with anybody until February, so he cannot be "snagged" until February. It's highly unlikely that the staff is ignorant of his presence. They must feel that they have better options out there and/or they can get Gentry at a later date if necessary.

At worst we close with....

WR John Burt

WR Ryan Davis

DE Prince Tega

DE Arden Key

DT Kendrick Norton

LB Jeffrey Holland

S Tim Irvin

But I think we do much better!

Hard to tell with all the coaching flux but you have to like the idea of Cowart, Jefferson, Key, Norton, Holland & Irvin on defense.

At worst we close with....

WR John Burt

WR Ryan Davis

DE Prince Tega

DE Arden Key

DT Kendrick Norton

LB Jeffrey Holland

S Tim Irvin

But I think we do much better!

gee, that would be just terrible

Right now I say we get

4* CB/S Irvin

4* WR Ryan Davis

4* DE Prince Tega

4* DT Kendrick Norton

a 3* CB from Florida or Williamson from Georgia if we can get him to visit

Ask me about the rest after this weekend.

Right now I say we get

4* CB/S Irvin

4* WR Ryan Davis

4* DE Prince Tega

4* DT Kendrick Norton

a 3* CB from Florida or Williamson from Georgia if we can get him to visit

Ask me about the rest after this weekend.

No Holland?

No Holland?

IMO depends on what Byron does so like I said ask me again after the weekend. lol

Good list but Holland is all AU (last thing I heard).

The rest I agree with in totality (ask after this weekend is included).

Good list but Holland is all AU (last thing I heard).

I am just not there on Holland yet. He had been wishy washy and changing his mind daily the last few months, even into the first week after Boom was hired.

With Miller leaving early, that opens another slot for another recruiter we can sign.

No it doesn't. It gets us closer to the attrition point we need to get to to enroll the max signees we have available.

If we get Irvin, and he enrolls early- does he count back?

No. Our available 3 countbacks have already been used with Golson and 2 of the EEs already in.

It all depends on this weekend's visits, obviously, but this is my optimistic, yet not too unrealistic projection on who we close with:

Norton or Beckner

Cowart

Cece

Key

Irvin

Burt

Ivey

Holland

Westry will move on. I don't think we will fill that spot leaving room for 1 EE to count back next year.

I don't think we will fill that spot leaving room for 1 EE to count back next year.

We'll fill it. The staff is determined to sign 2 cover corners in this class.

Archived