Done: It's Hugh Freeze

NolaAuTiger

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I hear Jim Leonard is available as a DC. Are we talking coordinators yet or is everyone just too upset

He will be a hot commodity for quit a bit of big ten schools. 

9 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I hear Jim Leonard is available as a DC. Are we talking coordinators yet or is everyone just too upset

His numbers look great for last 3 years.

6 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Well it’s the best we can do…

Regardless of your believe, let's start support our new coach with our whole heart.  THis is the best we can do and CHF IS able to right the ship and get us to lots of iron bowls from next yr on. Never have another coach BH/G2

• Like 1

I’ll say this. Freeze was my last choice. However, 1) I’m known to be wrong 2) if I’m right, regardless, he needs to be our coach for a respectable number of years. Otherwise. we won’t be able to lure a high school coach here next time. Somehow this needs to work.

11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Malzahn is congratulating Freeze so guess that's that.

Pearl, Cadillac,  Malzahn, are all backing him.    I wonder if they will be blackballed by the fringe for their support.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Freeze = mini-malzahn with a truckload of nasty baggage. Sigh.

This is such a overused lazy and just flat out wrong take. Freeze is a relentless recruiter who had 2 top 10 classes at ole miss of all places. Please miss me with the cheating bs!! Spare me. They got caught that was their biggest mistake. We all know the best recruiting schools are always at the top for a reason. Ole miss just didn’t have a system in place that dates back several years where it was a art form on how to not get caught. Freeze has enormous passing success with his offenses in the sec. Chad Kelly was a 4k yard passer in 2015 with 31 tds and had a 1k yard WR in laquon treadwell (who became a first round draft pick) which is something AU has not done since 99. Freeze has also recruited the OL much better than Gus. Multiple 5 star and high 4 star OL. Look at the WR’s he coached and signed that are now in the NFL. AJ Brown and DK Metcalf are 2 of the nfl’s best WRs. Both were 2nd round draft picks. Doesn’t sound very Gus like at all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I guess not. We couldn't lure their coach away from them. 

Gus also played for a national championship and had a higher winning percentage than Hugh Freeze. All without getting his team on probation! He just looks better with every passing minute. 

Lol people don’t realize how little modern tradition ole miss has. Literally the only sec west team to never play in the sec title game besides tamu and they have only been in the conference since 2012. AU has won 8 conference titles since the last time ole miss won a sec title… which was in 63!!! Ole miss the 2 years before freeze got there was a combined 6 and 18. AU is 38 and 11 all time Vs them. They are not a good job or program. Freeze and kiffin did and are doing good jobs there. Freeze gave them there best season ever in the modern era winning 10 games and the sugar bowl. The worst thing I see about him is dropping games they should win. This past weekend is another example. I can excuse losing to a 3-8 Va tech team because Virginia tech still had more talent than them but losing to UConn and New Mexico State is inexcusable. Win the ones you should win and keep pulling off upsets and we will be in business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is such a overused lazy and just flat out wrong take. Freeze is a relentless recruiter who had 2 top 10 classes at ole miss of all places. Please miss me with the cheating bs!! Spare me. They got caught that was their biggest mistake. We all know the best recruiting schools are always at the top for a reason. Ole miss just didn’t have a system in place that dates back several years where it was a art form on how to not get caught. Freeze has enormous passing success with his offenses in the sec. Chad Kelly was a 4k yard passer in 2015 with 31 tds and had a 1k yard WR in laquon treadwell (who became a first round draft pick) which is something AU has not done since 99. Freeze has also recruited the OL much better than Gus. Multiple 5 star and high 4 star OL. Look at the WR’s he coached and signed that are now in the NFL. AJ Brown and DK Metcalf are 2 of the nfl’s best WRs. Both were 2nd round draft picks. Doesn’t sound very Gus like at all.

Sounds right to me.  All AU need is w's, 12 wins per yr.  CBH is a good man and CGM is even a better man, but they failed to make you happy.  Only W's make you happy, reagrdless of those trush talks which keep us in the newspapers as free ad of our football program .  Not bad at all and wish this can energize CHF's work ethics.

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’ll say this. Freeze was my last choice. However, 1) I’m known to be wrong 2) if I’m right, regardless, he needs to be our coach for a respectable number of years. Otherwise. we won’t be able to lure a high school coach here next time. Somehow this needs to work.

I do not believe that Auburn could. That is why Auburn found itself in the position it is in. 

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Great points plus I believe his last recruiting class was number five in the country. That’s at Ole Siss; number five in the country! Just think what he will do at Auburn.

So he beat Saban and Smart can recruit in the top five in the country but they’re whining and crying it’s not Deion who recruited one five star athlete in five years?

Something else I like about Freeze compared to Kiffin is Freeze pays attention to all 3 phases of the game: offense, defense, special teams. Kiffin pays attention to his offense and just worries about scoring more than his opponent. He couldn't care less about defense or special teams. Kiffin is one of those that thinks "the best defense is a great offense."  Freeze had good defenses at Ole Miss. Remember "The Land Sharks" defense? 

Ole Miss fans think enough of Freeze that when we were trying to hire Kiffin away from them, they were all coming on Ole Miss message boards and podcasts saying they wanted Freeze back. As far as his recruiting issue that got the school into trouble, the Ole Miss BOT have said on a few occasions that they weren't firing him over that. They were gonna discipline him internally but he was keeping his job. It was the personal life issues they fired him over. So if they weren't really happy about the job he had done, they would've canned him immediately over the NCAA stuff. It just proves even more how happy Ole Miss was with his coaching. 

• Love 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, NA Tiger92 said:

I have followed this board for nearly 5 years.  I have never posted or joined- until now.  But I have read thousands of your comments as a simple lurker so forgive me for jumping right in, but I just couldn't help it.  

I know there are two opposing sides here, and for good reason.  And I know my opinion is worthless at this point, but whether we admit it, or like it, we are still a Family.  This has always been what makes AU great!  Sure, we bicker amongst ourselves, but whoa to any outsider that attacks us.  

CHF is now part of our Family.  None of us had a choice in that- just like in any family- but Family nonetheless.  CHF has done nothing to us as a Family.  And if, or until he does, he should be welcomed.  We all have baggage.  Anyways..... Glad to be here.

Welcome to the board NA Tiger!!! Don't be a stranger. 

You're correct, we all have baggage. As far as Hugh Freeze and his personal life issues, his wife and kids have all forgiven him and moved on long ago. Nobody knows the entire story except his family and a few higher ups that hired him. 

If his family, friends and the Auburn PTB are all happy then I'm happy and I'll support him 100%. 

Btw, I listened to Paul Finebaum because I knew he would be talking about Freeze's hire. Finebaum has always loved to take shots at Auburn but today he told a story about how he went out to eat with Freeze not long after his firing from Ole Miss. He asked Hugh about everything that happened between the recruiting scandal, his personal life stuff, etc. He said they talked for 3 hours and Hugh looked Paul dead in the eyes everytime he answered questions. Paul said he came away from that 3 hr talk believing everything Hugh told him and that he thinks Hugh knows he messed up and he will work tirelessly on being a better husband, father, friend and coach. WDE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Something else I like about Freeze compared to Kiffin is Freeze pays attention to all 3 phases of the game: offense, defense, special teams. Kiffin pays attention to his offense and just worries about scoring more than his opponent. He couldn't care less about defense or special teams. Kiffin is one of those that thinks "the best defense is a great offense."  Freeze had good defenses at Ole Miss. Remember "The Land Sharks" defense? 

Ole Miss fans think enough of Freeze that when we were trying to hire Kiffin away from them, they were all coming on Ole Miss message boards and podcasts saying they wanted Freeze back. As far as his recruiting issue that got the school into trouble, the Ole Miss BOT have said on a few occasions that they weren't firing him over that. They were gonna discipline him internally but he was keeping his job. It was the personal life issues they fired him over. So if they weren't really happy about the job he had done, they would've canned him immediately over the NCAA stuff. It just proves even more how happy Ole Miss was with his coaching. 

I was told by someone in the AD, (they have been right before, they have been wrong before), that it wasn’t so much that Kiffin backed away from Auburn but Auburn backed away from Kiffin.

With that said, Brian Harsin beat Lane Kiffin last year, so how good is Lane? 

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sizzle said:

It’s not the super bowl though. It’s one regular season game against a good team. Look at LSU, they could’ve made the playoffs but they treated Bama like it was the championship then lost to a trash A&M team. 

Come on Sizzle.  Of course it’s not “THE Super Bowl “, the point is if you have a team that is capable of beating Alabama, you have a team that is capable of beating anyone.   If you refuse to see that, you seriously have a problem with how football works.    Teams slip up and lose a game all the time.    It happens and that’s part of football.