Freeze's Staff

Potatooooooes!!

53 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is my one...hmmm hire with Freeze. I never heard of this dude.

Same here. In his introductory press conference, Freeze said he's received countless texts from "big-time coaches" wanting to come to Auburn. When he said that, Ron Roberts is not one of the names that came to my mind. 😂 I’ll trust Freeze is making the best hires he see that fits into what he wants, but I’d love it if one of those “big-time coaches” was announced.

Edited by PigskinPat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Same here. In his introductory press conference, Freeze said he's received countless texts from "big-time coaches" wanting to come to Auburn. When he said that, Ron Roberts is not one of the names that came to my mind. 😂 I’ll trust Freeze is making the best hires he see that fits into what he wants, but I’d love it if one of those “big-time coaches” was announced.

I think those big name coaches got bigger titles elsewhere. On the bright side, at least Freeze didn’t promote an unqualified coach  on staff to coordinator after his Plan A didn’t pan out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Was fired from Baylor... lord help us

We’ve committed to small ball when we hired Freeze. We can certainly win that way, but it won’t be flashy. Personally, I wish Auburn would go about things like the top shelf program we are, but if we’re doing Gus the sequel…hopefully we get another 2013.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 7
  • Dislike 11

10 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

He left Baylor in 2014, and he was never implicated in any of the stuff that happened.  

Kendell Briles was there the entire time yet I never see anyone bringing this up about him.  BTW he was never implicated, either.  

I would have brought it up if he was being rumored as a possible OC. Besides that noone really needs to be reminded that he was on his fathers staff at the time. Actually the only one I know that was implicated as you put it was Jeff Lebby. I would also like to state that I would have no problem with the hire as he wasn’t specifically implicated, but if anyone thinks it is not going to come up they are putting their heads in the sand.

46 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

We’ve committed to small ball when we hired Freeze. We can certainly win that way, but it won’t be flashy. Personally, I wish Auburn would go about things like the top shelf program we are, but if we’re doing Gus the sequel…hopefully we get another 2013.

Some of you need to get it through your heads that we are not going to get a Brian Kelly type hire, at least until Dinky retires.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUStew87 said:

I think those big name coaches got bigger titles elsewhere. On the bright side, at least Freeze didn’t promote an unqualified coach  on staff to coordinator after his Plan A didn’t pan out. 

Possibly so. Who are you thinking of that makes you think that?

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Once again none of the AU pay sites had any idea about any of these names until the last 24-48 hours 

@gr82b4au to be fair it's this way for nearly every pay site at nearly every school. Just the nature of coaching searches. Shouldn't be an indictment on AU pay sites.

33 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Possibly so. Who are you thinking of that makes you think that?

There was a lot smoke about Barry Odom as DC before he took the HC in Vegas

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUStew87 said:

There was a lot smoke about Barry Odom as DC before he took the HC in Vegas

Maybe I wasn’t paying attention, but I didn’t realize there was a lot of smoke for Odom coming as our DC. Maybe you’re right, all these countless texts from big-time coaches just didn’t go our way and they got promotions elsewhere. This is in not a shot at you, it’s just starting to make me wonder if Freeze was accurate when he made the claim.

We didn’t get destroyed by uga the past 4 years because of coaching. It was 90% because of talent. If everyone thinks this staff can come into our recruiting base and has the ceiling to compete head to head with the elite recruiting programs. Ok

• Like 2

As the DC Roberts also coached linebackers. That's something we need in the worst way. I think there is still some talent at LB but they are in serious need of being properly coached. This past season every LB on the squad regressed. That may be the past DC's fault or it may be Robinson's fault but we gotta' do better there.

• Like 2

Quoted from an article about Roberts as DC: "Roberts would be the fifth assistant hire for Freeze since taking over as Auburn's head coach, joining offensive line coach Jake Thornton, tight ends coach Ben Aigamaua, defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett and secondary coach Wesley McGriff. "

That's five. Then retainees Caddy, Etherage and Robinson make eight and Montgomery at OC makes nine. If this is correct then we have only one slot left to fill. Where Austin and some others brought from Liberty fit in is anybody's guess.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

See the man on the right in the red sports jacket?  That is Charles Kelly, with Smith and Russaw on their OVs at Bama this weekend.  

Seems funny for him to have signed with Prime and skipped out on his big recruiting weekend to continue to recruit for his “former” program.  

But of course you are right.  You are always right.  🙄

0AA71CBF-B001-454A-B87E-8D9E7A5BA076.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35206370/alabama-charles-kelly-joins-colorado-defensive-coordinator

https://www.si.com/college/2022/12/08/colorado-deion-sanders-hires-charles-kelly-alabama-dc

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/12/07/sources-colorado-buffs-to-hire-alabamas-charles-kelly-as-defensive-coordinator/

https://tdalabamamag.com/2022/12/07/charles-kelly-colorado-coach-deion-sanders/

• Haha 1

I think the hires are very good.

Side note: … At the end of the day, it is all about players. The coaches may be awesome, but if the other team has bigger, stronger, and faster players with elite QBs, it does not matter. 
Right now we need to dig ourselves out of a hole started by Gus and widened immensely by arson Harsin. 
We need an elite QB. We need OL- like 7 of them, including 4-5 Starters. We need DL. We need linebackers. All together we may need like 40-50 players - half of our roster will be new. And most of them will need to not just be good, but starters. 
Recruiting is the answer. And Hugh knows this. 

• Like 2

I am liking the staff CHF is putting together. Two seasoned guys as coordinators for their experience and the Xs and Os. Young bucks as position coaches who are good recruiters partnered up with a recruiting head coach as the closer. You can see Freeze's plan playing out and it makes a lot of sense.

• Like 5